As your Assemblywoman, representing you in the California State Capitol, it has been an honor serving you these first six months in office!
It has been a busy time in the Capitol these past few months - just last week we passed the state budget. Rest assured I am working around the clock to represent the needs and issues concerning Orange County residents.
I have addressed issues ranging from:
- Climate Change
- Student Debt
- Women and Children's Health
- The Opioid Addiction Epidemic
- Government Inefficiencies
- Adequate Legal Counsel to the Families of Service Men and Women
I am also serving on five standing committees and six select committees where I've been working on the following:
- As Chair of Accountability and Administrative Review, I consider the efficiency of state government among my top priorities as your representative. On June 9 we held an oversight hearing on the DMV. And on June 19, I will convene an oversight hearing to investigate the problematic rollout of FI$Cal.
- As a member of the Appropriations Committee, it is my duty to help decide which fiscal bills are warranted funding by California taxpayers.
- As a member of the Judiciary Committee, I will do my best to ensure that we balance consumer protection and fair regulation.
- My role in the Revenue and Taxation Committee is to simplify the existing tax code and to evaluate the necessity of new tax codes and new tax assessments.
- As a member of the Veterans Affairs Committee, I help consider policy proposals that impact the Cal-Vet loan program, Department of Veterans Affairs, National Guard, state military and other veterans issues.
- As Chair of the Select Committee on Student Debt, I am committed to finding solutions for California's 3.7 million students and graduates facing student debt. We will work to end the abusive practices of the student loan industry and establish a bill of rights for student borrowers.
- As a member of the Select Committee on Orange County Chronic Homelessness, I will make sure that Orange County receives its fair share of state funding to combat this issue. Read more in my op-ed in the Orange County Register.
- As a member of the Select Committee on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, I would like to empower the children of California to pursue the career paths that will secure economic security for their future and the future of California.
- As a member of the Select Committee on Sea Level Rise and the California Economy, I understand the urgency of climate change and its effects on AD 74. I have introduced legislation to help protect our coastline, read more about AB 65.
I am very pleased to announce the bi-partisan support we have received for my recent legislation addressing the predatory practices of sober living homes on those suffering from addiction. I have convened a bipartisan group of legislators to form the Legislative Substance Abuse Treatment Working Group to address the challenges confronting California's addiction treatment industry. I would also like to issue a special thank you to Wendy McEntyre for her strength and her courage in sharing her tragic story about her son, Jarrod, whom we have named AB 920 after. It is our goal to put an end to the needless deaths associated with morally bankrupt residential addiction treatment facilities. Watch the video from our press conference.
Capitol Recognition Ceremonies:
I would also like to extend a very special thank you to Mary Cappellini for her outstanding leadership with Save Our Youth (SOY), and the work that she is doing to empower the youth of Newport Mesa. We had the opportunity to recognize her work on California Nonprofits Day at the Capitol on June 5, 2019.
Lastly, I would also like to acknowledge the extraordinary leadership of Former Irvine Mayor Beth Krom. Beth's legacy of community outreach and coalition building serves as an example to anyone interested in community service! The California Women's Legislative Caucus hosts the annual Women of the Year ceremony where every legislator is invited to select one woman from their district to distinguish for their service to California. It is with great honor that I selected Beth for AD 74.
It has been an honor serving AD 74 for the past 6 months. As your State Representative, I am here to help. If you encounter any problems with a State Agency or have a comment on legislation moving in Sacramento, do not hesitate to contact my District Office at (949) 251-0074. I encourage you to continue reaching out to my staff and myself for questions, comments and concerns. Please follow my Facebook and Twitter pages to check in on my activity.
We would love to see you at one of our upcoming events:
Child Car Seat Safety Check Event
June 29, 10 a.m.
Irvine City Hall
1 Civic Center Plaza
Irvine, CA 92606
- Is your child's car seat installed correctly? It is estimated that 73% of car seats are not used or installed correctly.
- In partnership with the California Highway Patrol - Assemblywoman Cottie Petrie-Norris, Irvine Councilwomen Melissa Fox and Farrah Khan invite you to a Car Seat Safety Check-Up to help parents ensure the safety of their children.
- Specially trained technicians will be available to inspect car seats and make sure that they are properly installed and equipped.
- The event is free and RSVP on my website.
Attendees are welcome to bring questions about public safety and other important legislative issues.
July 18, 6:00 p.m.
Newport Beach Civic Center
100 Civic Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA
Have you ever wanted to make a positive difference in your community, but weren't sure how? Please join me and the Office of Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon and learn how to apply for a state board or commission.
California State boards and commissions cover topics and issues ranging from agriculture to the delta to human services providing an opportunity for civic engagement and a chance to enrich the lives of all Californians.
This event will feature a panel discussion with current appointees detailing the application process, helpful tips and the work they now do on behalf of the state.
This event is free and registration is required - RSVP on my website.
Senior Scam Stopper Event
July 26, 10 a.m.
Costa Mesa Senior Center
695 W 19th St
Costa Mesa, CA
- Information about how you can protect yourself and loved ones from fraud
- Learn more about scams concerning home improvement, auto repair, insurance, telemarketing, real estate, and more
Please continue sending me invitations for upcoming events! You can submit invitations directly through my website.
California State Assemblywoman, AD74
I am committed to being accessible and available. To stay up to date, sign up for email updates and follow me on Facebook and Twitter.