As a mom of two young boys and as a proud product of California public schools, I understand how important a quality education is for the success of our children. During my time in the Legislature, I have worked to provide more funding to local schools and fought to increase the number of spots for California students at UCs and CSUs.
In light of COVID-19, schools across the state have been shuttered for months, some even since the onset of the pandemic. Mounting evidence indicates that students across the country are experiencing learning loss and are falling behind in their academic progress. We must support safe school opening, stem learning loss and help California students succeed.
- AB 10: Safe Reopening of Schools - Seeks to return students to classroom-based learning and is part of a larger legislative working group effort to ensure quality education for all students and ongoing support for teachers during the COVID-19 pandemic. (2021-22)
- AB 14: Internet for All Act - Closes the digital divide and ensures that all California kids have the opportunity to succeed regardless socioeconomic status. (2021-22)
- AB 104: Student Bill of Rights & Learning Loss - Provides learning recovery opportunities for pupils who have faced adverse learning circumstances as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. (2021-22)
For more on this topic:
- 3.4.21 - SB 86 School Reopening Bill
- 12.09.20 OC Register: Proposed bill would require in-person instruction at schools when a county's COVID stats improve | Official Website - Assemblywoman Cottie Petrie-Norris
- Education and COVID-19: A Town Hall with CA State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond